At CSL, we recognise the importance of conducting our operations in an environmentally responsible manner. There is shared accountability for Environment, Health, Safety & Sustainability (EHS2), headed by the Director of Global Environment, Health, Safety & Sustainability and overseen by the Executive Vice President of Quality and Business Services, partnering with manufacturing site EHS2 professionals.
Energy, water and other natural resources are essential inputs to the production of our life-saving therapies. Our manufacturing processes, and the packaging and transport of our medicines, generate greenhouse gas emissions and waste. We are committed to minimising these environmental impacts without compromise to the safety, quality and affordability of our medicines.
CSL’s commitment to the environment is set by the Board and articulated in our
Code of Responsible Business Practice. Our
CSL Global Environment, Health and Safety Policy and
Statement on Climate Change provide further guidance to management and staff.
Our Performance 2016
Our goal is to have zero accidental releases, non-compliance and environmental related fines. During the reporting period, CSL achieved compliance with all applicable laws and regulations, achieving our set goal.
On 31 July 2015, CSL acquired the Novartis influenza vaccine business including two manufacturing sites at Holly Springs, United States (US), and Liverpool, United Kingdom (UK). As a result, CSL’s total manufacturing footprint increased from five to seven sites, and the impact is reflected in increases across most of our environmental indicators, particularly waste.
Integrating product improvement steps into our manufacturing purification processes and more stringent clean room temperature and humidity control have partially offset energy, GHG emission and water consumption improvement initiatives. Furthermore, CSL is challenged by its expanding manufacturing footprint, which is growing to help meet product demand and deliver new and improved therapies to patients.
CSL's facilities in Marburg, Germany, and Bern, Switzerland, maintained external certification of their management systems, EMAS and ISO 14001, respectively. The Marburg facility is also ISO 50001 certified for its Energy Management.
Our Environmental Impact Trends
In 2015/16, CSL increased its footprint from five to seven manufacturing sites following the acquisition of the Novartis influenza vaccine business. For comparative purposes, we have provided three years of historical data which excludes the Novartis influenza vaccine acquired sites.
|Indicator ||Unit ||12-131 ||13-141 ||14-151 ||15-165 |
|Energy Consumption2 ||Petajoules |
|2.03 ||2.25 ||2.43 ||2.87 |
|Greenhouse Gas Emissions3 ||Metric Kilotonnes |
|201 ||223 ||239 ||303 |
|Water Consumption ||Gigalitres |
|2.30 ||2.60 ||2.69 ||3.14 |
|Total Waste ||Metric Kilotonnes |
|19.91 ||20.26 ||21.83 ||44.076 |
|Waste Recycling Rate4 ||% ||58 ||59 ||64 ||56 |
- Data reported, with offsets, are inclusive of manufacturing sites located in Bern (Switzerland), Marburg (Germany), Kankakee (US), Parkville (Australia) and Broadmeadows (Australia), CSL Plasma, CSL Behring headquarters (King of Prussia, US). Offsets are supply of energy to third parties on or near a CSL production site. Included offsets are scope 1 & 2 energy supplies only.
- Includes scope 1 & 2 energy sources. Scope 1 energy sources are fossil energy sources supplied or used on site. Scope 2 energy sources are electricity, steam, compressed air and nitrogen used on site.
- The major greenhouse gas (GHG) emitted from CSL’s operation is carbon dioxide (CO2). In USA, Germany and Switzerland, GHG emission factors are used to calculate CO2 emissions only. In Australia, GHG emission factors used by CSL calculate carbon dioxide, nitrous oxide and methane emissions. Total emissions for Australian facilities are expressed as carbon dioxide equivalents (CO2-e).
- The recycling rate represents the proportion of total waste generated that is either reused, recycled.
- In addition to note 1 above, 2015/16 data includes the two new Seqirus manufacturing sites at Holly Springs (US) and Liverpool (UK).
- Waste totals include the two new Seqirus manufacturing sites at Holly Springs (US) and Liverpool (UK). Total includes construction based waste driven by CSL’s manufacturing expansion activities.
2015/16 Environmental Trends
2015-16 CSL Environmental Trends including: energy consumption; greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions; scope 3 GHG emissions; water consumption; and waste generation increased on the previous year, largely due to the inclusion of two new manufacturing sites and an increasing manufacturing footprint.
Access to CSL’s Carbon Disclosure Project submissions (including our Water Disclosure submission) can be found on their
CSL Ltd Global Environment Report 2008