CSL1 is committed to protecting the privacy of all the individuals it deals with. This document sets out our policies on handling personal information (including health information).
For specific information about how CSL may collect and use personal information for marketing purposes, please refer to our
What kind of personal information does CSL collect and what is it used for?
CSL is in the business of developing, manufacturing and marketing human pharmaceutical and diagnostic products and collects and holds the personal information necessary for it to carry out its business. The following are the main types of personal (including health) information collected by CSL and the main purposes they are used for.
||What it is used for|
Information such as names, business contact details and dealings with suppliers and potential suppliers to CSL
To administer CSL’s dealings and potential dealings with suppliers of products and services
Information such as names, business contact details and professional details and practice/business details of health and allied professionals and customers, and their dealings with CSL
To maintain records of medical queries, adverse event reports, make legally required notifications (e.g. product recalls) and monitor CSL’s compliance with regulations
To supply products and services.
To carry out marketing activities and organise conferences, seminars or other meetings
To manage disease awareness/management or other similar programs
Access to health information collected about participants in clinical trials sponsored by CSL
With the informed consent of participants, to verify the procedures of those clinical trials
Information such as names and contact details of persons who contact CSL with requests for information, including through CSL’s website
To respond to those requests.
Information about applicants for employment with CSL
To assess those applications for employment
Information about CSL’s employees and contractors relevant to their employment or contract with CSL
To fulfil CSL’s responsibilities as employer and contracting party
How does CSL handle this information?
CSL is bound by the National Privacy Principles of the Privacy Act 1988 and other applicable laws governing privacy. Where appropriate, CSL will handle personal information relying on the related bodies corporate exemption and the employee records exemption in the Privacy Act and any other applicable exemptions in other legislation.
Who is the personal information disclosed to?
CSL will maintain control and be responsible for the security of personal information it holds. As a general rule, it will not provide personal information to any third parties except:
- to regulatory bodies (e.g. the TGA) where legally obliged to do so;
- to related companies of CSL, for the same kinds of purposes as listed above;
- to ensure continuity of service, to another company if the supply of the product or service has been transferred to that company;
- to contractors engaged to provide services in connection with the purposes mentioned above (such as mail out companies, agencies engaged to organise conferences and database managers who maintain and update contact information (and who may contact you independently to check that information or your contact preferences)) and
- if it is otherwise permitted or required by the Privacy Act or any other law.
How can I access the personal information (including health information) held about me by CSL?
To the extent you are entitled to under the Privacy Act and other applicable laws, you can access your personal (including health) information held by CSL by contacting it: see the box below.
COMMENTS? COMPLAINTS? WANT TO KNOW MORE?
You can get in touch with any Australian member of the CSL Group1 about privacy issues if you
- want to let us know NOT to collect any particular information about you or NOT to use it for any particular purpose;
- ask for access to any personal information about you held by CSL, to the extent authorised by the Privacy Act and all other applicable laws (we may need to ask you to complete a request form); or
- have a complaint, or want to know more about our personal information handling processes or give us suggestions about them.
You can do this by contacting CSL’s Privacy Officer on email: email@example.com, phone: (03) 9389 1911, fax: (03) 9389 1434 or write to CSL Limited, 45 Poplar Road, Parkville, Vic 3052.
Please note that we will respond to queries made in the annual holiday season (between approximately 20 December to 10 January each year) as soon as possible after that period.
CSL in this document refers to CSL Limited ABN 99 051 588 348 and its related bodies corporate in Australia.